Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring in Montana

Spring is starting to emerge from the long, dark, cold winter. Snow has melted - the last bit this week (until the next spring snowstorm). Sun is warming. Grass is turning green. Buds on trees are wanting to blast open.

While at the refuge this week, I had a connection to the natural world like none other. Spring is a time of birth and renewal. What a time to find out you're pregnant! The wildlife list includes: deer, grouse, blue herons, eagles (nesting with babies), canada geese (nesting in the osprey's nest), osprey, sandhill cranes (searching for where they will make a home), mergansers, loons, coots, even wild turkeys. Being surrounded by life emerging from the depths of winter or migrating home from far away places brings a newfound joy to me that I haven't known in a while.

Today, on my "off day," the sun shines and the birds sing in the backyard. The warmth is rejuvinating.

My fears today are whether this is a sound pregnancy. I can't remember what the early weeks felt like with Emerson. Gas bubbles that seem to slide around my lower abdomen still feel like kicks, and now I have given those to the Universe as Emerson telling me she's still with me and will help me with this baby, her little brother or sister.

More chasing sunshine to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment