Friday, April 17, 2009

Fire

On Monday afternoon, we saw smoke on the refuge. The small stream of smoke turned into a 200 acre fire. Burned trees, scorched ground, black vistas with hints of life that survived. The wind blew hard and swept the flames further and further. The following day, small embers with smoke still burned, resembling a black Yellowstone. Although this was probably started by people, wildfires are a natural process of turning and healing and rebirth of the land. It is a sad site, as wildlife homes burned in the flames. However, the burn will allow for new life.

Then, cold came again. Bozeman was hit with a spring snowstorm, adding a foot of snow to the record. Today, as the sun melted the snow, the bright green grass poked through the white bed.

I am anxious for Monday, where we will visit Casper and have our first ultrasound. I pray that a strong heartbeat will be visible. I am feeling nauseous and tired, so that is a good sign, I hope. Easter day, the day of celebrating rebirth was the worst nausea I've had - all day long. It has subsided a bit throughout the week.

Last night, we went out to dinner with our friends John and Lynn. Knowing that it would be very suspicious if I didn't have wine (my favorite food group), Todd and I had a plan - I would have a glass of wine and take tiny sips, and he would sneak gulps. The waitress kept filling my glass, so Todd ended up drinking twice as much! When we laughed, we giggled as our ploy backfired so badly. And, his stealthiness didn't go unnoticed - I think Lynn noticed and was probably either suspicious or thinking that Todd was losing his mind drinking out of my glass.

Sunshine is supposed to be here throughout the weekend - I hope to soak up some rays before we leave on Thursday for the south. I'm hoping I can share good news with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment