Sunday, June 28, 2009

There is a new song by Dave Matthews that talks about bad things that happen at the same time good ones do (...while babies are being born, soldiers are dying). I guess it has struck a chord with me on my daily drives to and from the refuge, and especially today.

While one close friend welcomes her new little boy, another has another failed IVF. While moms complain about not getting showers or sleep, I get a one year birthday reminder in the mail from Toys R Us. While one door shuts, another opens.

While I'm happy the BioBlitz is over (and I can't do anything to change it now, whether I like that or not), I will miss the place and the people. Amazing how in twelve short weeks, you bond with those around you. Sharing stories, getting excited over woodpeckers or porcupines in trees, pulling your hair out together, even losing sleep and having anxiety together. While at the event, I had another job offer to help organize a volunteer monitoring project. We'll see.

The highs and lows of life. They come and they go, and they are all what makes life tick. We would not know the sunshine if we didn't have the rain. We wouldn't know the joys without the sorrows. Maybe all the loss in life has more lessons in life than we realize...and offers us the grace we need to live life to the fullest with more zest and appreciation than before.

1 comment:

  1. Frances, love your last paragraph. I don't know if you realize how much you and your experiences have taught me about life. I realize I haven't been through nearly the struggles as well as the highs and lows that you and Todd have been through. I would never wish it upon anyone, but you have shown me a strength in someone that I truly did not know existed. You have a way of turning sadness and tragedy into an inner peace that inspires you to live life to its fullest. That is truly a gift! I am inspired to be a better person, a better mommy, and a more grateful individual for life. You are right that is unfortunate it has to 'rain for us to know the sunshine,' but it makes us stronger people in the end. We are so so excited for your new bump - you deserve it more than anyone I know!! Thanks for sharing!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete