Monday, March 30, 2009

Clear Blue Easy

After awaking from more strange dreams and a sore throat from breathing through my mouth, I first crawled out of the bed to snuggle with Grady, our morning ritual. His tail thumped and he took a big stretch as I came down to greet him. Rubbing on his ears and scratching his belly, I knew this was the week to test. Today would be too early. I knew I shouldn't do it. Here I am again, peeing on a stick only to find myself disappointed. Why do I keep putting myself through it. Stupid test. I better hide it so Todd doesn't ask.

I glanced, still a timer blinking. I washed my hands and put in my contacts. I turned over my shoulder to look down, ready for disappointment, and there it was. "Pregnant." Noh, my gut fell to the ground. I wanted to scream, but that's not how I wanted to tell Todd. Holy cow! The meaning is so much more than the first time. I'm shaking.

I came out of the bedroom to Todd, sitting at the dining room table, eating breakfast, and reading the paper. I stretched out my arms for my morning hug...the first in a few days since I've had a nasty cold. As Todd and I were holding each other tight in a big bear hug, I slipped the test from my pocket onto the newspaper. He said, what's that, and with a closer look, exclaimed, "Holy Shit. Really?" I was shaking, nodding my head, as tears streamed down my face.

I said, we're pregnant. We both are ecstatic and nervous and anxious, filled with hope and love and anticipation, all over again.

1 comment: